We’re a top three intermodal provider in North America and a US drayage leader, with door-to-door freight management.
Your long-haul freight will move over one of the largest intermodal networks serving the US, Mexico and Canada, with the majority of rail service arranged with Union Pacific and CSX. Our drayage service covers every major US port and rail ramp.
It's important to us that we earn your loyalty, which is why many of our customer relationships span a decade or more. We’ll look at your shipping patterns and create the most efficient plan for your freight. Then, we’ll use our Rail Optimizer technology to coordinate the various providers, making adjustments as needed to give you the best possible results.
- ~10,000 53-ft. domestic boxes owned by XPO
- ~5,000 chassis owned by XPO
- Access to an over 95,000 additional domestic containers
- ~2,100 independent drayage contractors for domestic and international container movements
- Access to over 25,000 additional trucks
Long-Haul Rail Service
Key rail capabilities
- Over 30 years of intermodal expertise, with long-term rail agreements in place
- Extensive footprint with national coverage and service at more than 80 ramps
- A leader in automotive and retail intermodal, and in US-Mexico cross-border service
- Seamless, end-to-end execution with an emphasis on communication
- Accurate quotations based on regional pricing
- Visibility into your freight movements at all times via our Rail Optimizer technology
- Sensors on XPO equipment monitor whether boxes are empty or full and doors are open or closed
- Value-added services, including private chassis programs, container storage and management, transloading and surge capacity
- On-demand access to XPO's range of North American transportation solutions, including expedite and forwarding
Quality Drayage Service
Key drayage capabilities
- National network of experienced, safety-conscious drivers
- One of the industry’s best performance records
- 37 terminals serving all major US rail ramps and ports, capable of handling large volumes of import and export freight
- ISO 14001- and TWIC-compliant terminals, with contractors trained for regulatory competency
- Secure premises protected by electric fencing
- GPS and satellite tracking, and EDI-compliance
- Ocean drayage management services available
- Significant hazmat- and tanker-endorsed capacity
- SmartWay® partner committed to environmental responsibility
We designed the Connect platform to ensure high visibility for our Intermodal customers.
Our flexible, cloud-based platform integrates the entire intermodal process in real time, including operations and communication. Drayage drivers are equipped with mobile communication devices, and all XPO containers are digitally monitored, including geolocation and automated status notifications. Rail Optimizer integrates in to provide constant communication with the railroads and flags unforeseen delays, such as weather disruptions. All of this information is available to you.
Our tech team can integrate XPO Connect and Rail Optimizer with your enterprise, warehouse management and supply chain management systems via EDI or the web. This gives you direct visibility into the status of your cargo
Our intermodal organization in Mexico includes bilingual personnel at key rail ramps to simplify the cross-border process.
Rail is not only more cost effective than trucking for most long-haul freight; it’s also less prone to regulatory delays. We streamline the process by utilizing our longstanding relationships on both sides of the US-Mexico border.
Should an unavoidable delay occur, we'll move any time-sensitive freight to our expedited ground and air services or draw on our freight forwarding network. This ability to switch from one mode to another in unpredictable circumstances is a unique advantage of using XPO as your intermodal provider.